French Onion Chicken Sandwiches
This French Onion Chicken Sandwich is on par with something you’d order at a restaurant – it’s that good! Sweet caramelized onions, grilled chicken, melty cheese, and a bit of spinach transform an average chicken sandwich into something extraordinary.
- 2 tbsp Member’s Mark™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Large yellow onions
- 1 Member’s Mark™ Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Member’s Mark™ Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 3⁄4 inch thickness (or 4 thin-cut chicken breasts)
- 1-2 tsp Weber® Caramelized Onion Seasoning
- 4 slices Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 4 Member’s Mark™ Hamburger Buns
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup Fresh spinach leaves
- Member’s Mark™ Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- In a large skillet on medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onions,Member’s Mark™ Bay Leaf, and Member’s Mark™ Sea Salt. Cook until the onions turn a rich, golden brown color and a few turn lightly crisp, stirring often. Remove from heat, discard bay leaf, and stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill or large skillet over medium high heat and brush with olive oil to prevent sticking. Season chicken with Weber® Caramelized Onion Seasoning. Cook chicken until no longer pink and the interior reaches 160°F, turning once, about 4 minutes per side. Top each cooked chicken breast with a slice of cheese immediately after flipping.
- Spread the bottom half of each bun with 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard. Top with fresh spinach, then the cheese-topped chicken, caramelized onions, and finally the top bun half. Serve immediately.