Warm & Cozy Mulled Wine
The holiday season needs 2 things: cinnamon sticks and a warm, cozy drink. Luckily, this recipe checks both of those boxes! When making mulled wine, you'll want to use fruit-forward, full-bodied red—think Syrah or Malbec. It's also a great opportunity to use some of the "cheaper" wines you have laying around! One tip for you - make sure your mulled wine doesn't get to a boil, or else you will burn off the alcohol (unless that's what you're trying to do!)
- 1 bottle Full-bodied red wine, like Italian Red, Southern French, New World Merlot, Red Zinfandel, Shiraz
- ¼ cup Member's Mark™ Organic 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- ¼-½ cup Bourbon or brandy
- 1 Orange, sliced (plus more for garnish)
- 2 Spice Islands® Saigon Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 whole Star anise pods, plus more for garnish
- 4 whole Cloves
- Add all ingredients to a medium sized pot and stir together.
- Heat until the wine almost reaches a simmer over medium-high heat. (Avoid letting it bubble! This will cause the alcohol in the wine to evaporate.)
- Reduce heat to low, cover completely, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Remove and discard the orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and star anise.
- Serve in a mug garnished with additional orange slices, cinnamon sticks, and star anise pods, as desired.