Hearty Lentil Soup
Weather is tricky in springtime, but no matter what mother nature has in store, you can count on this Hearty Lentil Soup. It's loaded with super healthy vegetables and has the perfect amount of spices to add some kick. This soup is also vegetarian, so you could serve it during Lent.
- 1/4 cup Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp Member’s Mark™ Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Member’s Mark™ Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Member’s Mark™ Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Member’s Mark™ Thyme Leaves
- 1 (28 oz) can Hunt’s® Diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 cup Brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups Swanson® Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Member’s Mark™ Sea Salt
- Pinch Member’s Mark™ Crushed Red Pepper
- Member’s Mark™ Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Chopped fresh kale, tough ribs removed
- 2 tbsp ReaLemon® 100% Lemon Juice, to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Member’s Mark™ Minced Garlic, Member’s Mark™ Ground Cumin, Member’s Mark™ Curry Powder, and Member’s Mark™ Thyme Leaves. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Pour in the drained diced tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the lentils, broth, and the water. Add 1 teaspoon of Member’s Mark™ Sea Salt and a pinch of Member’s Mark™ Red Pepper Flakes. Season generously with Member’s Mark™ Ground Black Pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender. Securely fasten the lid, making sure to protect your hand from steam with a tea towel placed over the lid. Purée the soup until smooth. Pour the puréed soup back into the pot. (Or, use an immersion blender to blend a portion of the soup.)
- Add the chopped greens and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the greens have softened to your liking. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice. For spicier soup, add another pinch or two of red pepper flakes.