Summertime Shrimp & Grits
Nothing beats shrimp and grits, especially on a summer's day! While there are many ways to make this recipe, our version uses Dash™ Original Seasoning Blend to add a unique and not-so-spicy flavor the whole family can enjoy.
For the Shrimp
- 1 tbsp Member's Mark™ 100% Pure Olive Oil
- 2 slices Turkey bacon, finely diced
- 1 large Celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 medium Green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium Sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium Tomato, seeds removed, diced
- 2 tsp Dash™ Original Blend
- 1 pinch Member's Mark™ Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Member's Mark™ Paprika
- 1 cup Reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus 2 tbsp, divided
- 1 lb Large shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- 1 tsp Clabber Girl® Corn Starch
- 4 Scallions, thinly sliced
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the Grits
- 1-1/2 cup Low fat milk
- 1 cup Corn grits
- 1/3-1/2 cup Sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 pinch Member's Mark™ Whole Black Pepper Grinder
- 2-1/2 cup Reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the celery, bell pepper, and onion. Cooking, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, Dash™ Original seasoning, Member's Mark™ Cayenne, and Member's Mark™ Paprika. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of broth and bring to boil. Arrange the shrimp evenly over the mixture and reduce heat to medium. Allow the shrimp to cook for about 3 minutes or until they start to turn pink, flipping halfway through to completely coat the shrimp in the sauce.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of broth and Clabber Girl® Corn Starch. Drizzle over the shrimp mixture. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through and the broth is slightly reduced. Finish with scallions and fresh parsley before serving.
For the Grits
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk and broth to a gentle simmer. While whisking, slowly pour the grits into the hot liquid.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking often until the grits become thick and creamy, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat to whisk in the cheese and freshly ground Member's Mark™ pepper.
- To serve, transfer the grits to each bowl and top evenly with shrimp.