Seasonal Fruit Cobbler
Cobblers are simply delicious desserts. Often made with in-season fruit—from strawberries in the summertime to apples in the fall—these desserts can be tied to particular seasons, but we're here to tell you that fruit cobbler is a tasty treat all year long.
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 5 cups Sliced, peeled cooking apples
- 1/3 cup Apple Juice
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Clabber Girl® Corn Starch
- 1/4 tsp Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- Dash Tone's® Ground Nutmeg
- 4 cups Sliced fresh peaches or 20 oz. frozen dry pack peach slices
- 1/3 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Spice Islands® Pure Almond Extract
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Clabber Girl® Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-vegetable Shortening
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- HEAT oven to 400°F. Coat 8 x 8-inch baking dish lightly with no-stick cooking spray.
- COMBINE dry ingredients for filling (sugar, corn starch or flour, spices) in medium saucepan. Stir in prepared fruit. Add water and butter, if any. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in flavoring (almond, lemon juice, lemon peel), if any. Pour into prepared baking dish. Place in oven to keep warm while preparing topping.
- MIX flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine milk and vanilla. Pour over flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Remove baking dish from oven. Drop biscuit mixture in 9 mounds on top of hot fruit.
- BAKE 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.