Crisco® Traditional Southern Fried Chicken
This easy recipe is a must have! It's quick, easy, and delicious. Pair it with some mashed potatoes and you have the perfect meal!
- 2/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Member's Mark™ salt
- 3/4 tsp Member's Mark™ pepper
- 3/4 tsp Member's Mark™ paprika
- 3 lbs Cut up broiler- fryer chicken 8 pieces
- Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika in large resealable plastic bag or shallow bowl.
- Add chicken to flour mixture, two at a time, turning to coat completely. Let stand on wire rack 10 minutes to set coating.
- Heat 1/2-inch deep oil to 350°F in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, uncovered, 8 minutes. Turn chicken. Cook an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until deep golden brown and internal temperature reaches 180°F, turning chicken during the last few minutes for even browning. Drain on paper towels.
- TRADITIONAL BUTTERMILK FRIED CHICKEN: Combine 3 C. buttermilk and 2 tsp. salt in large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat chicken. Chill several hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Drain chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Prepare as instructed above.