Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
This classic treat is perfect for your summer nights. This treat is sweet, fruity, and delicious!
- 2 pints Strawberries
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Light brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Clabber Girl® Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 Egg large
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Combine strawberries, 2 Tbsp. sugar and brown sugar in medium bowl. Toss to mix well. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours before serving.
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Lightly spray baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until flour is blended to form pea-size pieces. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Toss with fork until well combined (do not overwork). Drop batter into 6 equal mounds on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven; place baking sheet on a rack to cool.
- Split each shortcake in half horizontally. Place bottoms on serving plates. Place an even amount of strawberries on shortcake bottoms. Top with whipped cream. Replace shortcake tops. Serve immediately.